Sunday, March 6, 2016

Scenery: Ruined Gas Station (Flo's V8 Cafe) Finished

The detail work for the gas station is complete, I'm hoping a "less is more" effect is better.  I added some various cans, newspapers and such scattered around the pump areas.  The truck has been replaced with a die cast pickup truck that I destroyed and added some various car and truck parts to give it a ruined feel.  I decided to leave the roof alone (for now) to make it easier to get to the inside of the building.

On to some pics!
Top View
Burned out truck (with a box/crate in the back)
Top view left side
The sign is removable, makes it easier for storage and if it gets hit during play, it *should* just breakaway where it connects to the toy base.  I hope I don't have to prove out my theory!  I tried to add some fun details, like beer cans, newspapers, an out of gas sign, tires, etc.  It was pretty fun to start putting junk on the toy set, it would have been very easy to go overboard!
Ruined truck, damaged overhead
They're out of gas
Dawn shows the front of the station
Dawn stands at the entrance
I considered adding handrails to the entrance ramp (in real life I am certain the government would require them!) but they were a bit too fiddly, and would just get in the way of moving figs around the area.  The various items added were just to add some junk feel to the ruins.  Most of the items actually came from this toy.  The various tires are from a box of tires I have from stripping them off various toy cars.
Some sort of vacuum?
Pile of tires (some Fallout influence here)
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  Hopefully I'll get to place it on a table soon.

Comments and questions are very welcome!

16 comments:

  1. wow! great work man, truly stunning!

    i love the Fallout feel to it, all from a kids toy. i wish i could do the same, its awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Toy bashing has become a favorite source of scenery. Just find an old toy and go for it!

      Delete
  2. It's a fantastic piece of scenery and certainly has that post-apocalypse feel to it. Great work, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing, the finishing touches have really brought it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great. Very apt. Kudos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Steve! Just the right amount of detritus and debris dude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great piece of scenery, it's turned out really well and does look like something akin to a delapidated "Red Rocket". well done on restraining yourself with too much debris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to admit that I was inspired by my time in Fallout at Red Rocket... It was hard not to place more tires scattered around!

      Delete
  7. Lovely! Very grungy and abandoned...

    ReplyDelete