Jack barked a short, humorless laugh. "That's an understatement sweetheart. This is downright stupid."
"Enough." Dawn said, turning back to face the group. "We're going to see how bad this is while it is still here, not at our house." Dawn looked towards the camp as a smattering of gunfire echoed in the distance, catching everyone's attention. "Sounds like someone is still alive in there. Maybe we can help."
|Dawn and company arrive at the Camp|
The group is approaching the FEMA camp at Somerset. It is afternoon of day 58, the area is ER 6, 24 zombies start on the board, and zombies appear on a 4+ from noise. Success for this mission for Dawn is surviving, everyone else surviving and everyone exiting the board edge opposite the one the team enters from. Everyone else is just trying to survive for a success. If the group exits inside the fence, the next scenario will be investigating the compound, otherwise they will enter the town.
There are several special rules I am going to use for this scenario:
1. As in the previous scenario, I am using scarce looting (I need to match two draws from the loot deck to find something) with the exception of there will be 'something' (a straight draw) in the tent marked as a first aid station.
2. Each tent, trailer, building and some of the vehicles have black markers. These are all treated as PEFs for when any model 'enters' or investigates the location. None of these will move, they just count for the search.
3. There are four markers that are "zombie generators" and marked by a d6. Each turn that the initiative dice come up doubles a zombie will spawn at each location that is equal to or greater than the number on the marker. There is a 1 in 6 chance that any zombies spawned will be 'special' - as the previous scenario had. A model may reduce the number on the marker die by 1 for each activation spent in contact with the base.
4. Any PEF resolution that results in an increase to the ER will reduce the spawn number for zombies (from 4+ to 3+, etc.).
5. Really Tight Ammo - per the normal rules.
6. Slightly modified "new" melee rules (my new standard house rules.)
7. The main fence has a break in one section, this will be randomly determined when the first figure (zombie or human) reaches 6" from the fence.
|The group should really just leave...|
Finally getting started, the game starts with a random event, from double 4's so each zombie generator spawns a zombie. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.
|Not the worst that could happen|
|These doors are secured.|
|Here comes the horde|
Dawn stepped forward and fired her pistol into the mass of zombies, watching two lifeless bodies flop to the pavement. "Reload!" She yelled, looking at the zombies falling around the group. "Brenda! Be careful!"
Brenda ran past with her spear held tight. "I've had it with these things!" She yelled, charging ahead.
|Brenda charges the zombie|
|More zombies appear|
"What if the back is as secure as the front?" Joyce asked, loading her shotgun.
Dawn looked up the road before replying. "We'll just make it up from there."
|Dawn charges some zombies|
Dawn easily handles the zeds (7d vs 4d) before being charged by 2 more. Tina also gets charged, and after a round of being tied, she wins (rolling 5d vs 3d). The new melee rules make it a bit more touch and go, even with a 2 die advantage, plus a free success, Tina still tied the first round. That made things a bit scary.
|Things are getting dicey|
"More zombies in the street!" Brenda yelled. "Let's go!"
The PEF turns out to be "something out there" so instead of the ER increasing, zombies now spawn on a 3+.
|A second PEF in the street|
|Heading towards the store|
|Dawn and Jack check inside|
"Whew, what a smell." Dawn said as she stepped into the dark liquor store. Dawn looked around the small store, broken bottles were strewn across the cheap tile floor. "Smells like Miller time."
"You know what I say when it's Miller time?" Jack said with a grin, turning to face Dawn. Before he could continue, a scrape and crash of glass told them they were not alone.
"Look out!" Dawn yelled as zombies shambled from the shadows to attack.
|Zombies fill the shop|
I check for zombie surprise, we move right to melee. I'm not sure how to handle a mixed melee under the new rules - it says all the zombies that can, will fight. With two humans and six zombies, I figure I can go with an even split. Dawn handles her three pretty easily (7d vs 5d) killing them in two rounds of fighting. Jack (5d vs 5d) ties for two rounds, kills two in round three and finally wins in round 4. Another round and he would have to check for infection.
|The zombies mill about|
Real life gave me a break, I had to step away from the game and lost track of the turn. The zombies end up not moving this turn, though I believe they were supposed to. Oh well.
|Joyce, Tina and Eric watch the horde shamble towards them|
Will the liquor store turn out to be a safe move, or a big trap? The game continues...